- To provide the FMIS increased recognition for their organizational and management innovations, and indigenous knowledge and skills;
- To recognize the value of the FMIS in the wider socio-economic and political context and share information about their institutions;
- To bring them into the global stream of creativity, well being and self-governance in a way that makes themselves aware of the value and uniqueness of their own institutional assets;
- To disseminate the knowledge on FMIS through seminar, workshop and contribution in academic papers; and
- To develop human resources and knowledge base on FMIS through applied research and training.
The specific objectives of the Trust are as follows:
- To recognize one FMIS periodically for its best practice in a specified field that helps in sustainable organization, management and technology of irrigated agricultural system;
- To provide the officials of these FMIS exposure and orientation to the irrigated agricultural system development and management practices;
- To widely disseminate the basic features of the award winning FMIS;
- To conduct and encourage FMIS related research that directly helps to promote a knowledge-base on FMIS through research support grant (RSG); and
- To provide a networking forum for national and international dialogue on FMIS.